Staff Software Engineer, Distributed Systems

At Workstream
  • Full Time
  • Employee
  • Full Remote

Posted on July 24th

Apply for this position

Workstream’s SaaS technology addresses the top pain point of the local businesses around you: hiring, managing, and retaining qualified workers. We are a mission-based organization that enables these local businesses to hire faster with texting / SMS, cutting in half the time to engage, hire and onboard hourly workers. The 2.7 billion hourly workers are 80% of the global workforce but have been heavily underserved by technology compared to the other 20% of in-office knowledge workers.

Our customers include leading brands from multiple sectors, including McDonald's, Burger King, Jamba Juice, 7-Eleven, Uber, FedEx, etc. At series B, we are quickly expanding our product portfolio. We are backed by legendary VC's and industry’s experts, including Founders Fund, BOND, and Coatue.

Our engineering team is composed of passionate, driven, and talented engineers who focus on building and innovating cloud technology solutions that empower local businesses to thrive and better serve the deskless workforce in their communities. We are seeking a talented Staff Software Engineer, Distributed Systems to join our growing engineering team.

Day in the Life: 
  • Design and implement the fundamental architecture of the multi-product backend. The architecture will contain complex scenarios of backend distributed systems, data, security, compliance, DevOps, and more
  • Analyze fault-tolerance and high availability issues, performance and scale challenges, and solve them
  • Pinpoint problems, instrument relevant components as needed, and ultimately implement solutions
  • Understand trade-offs between consistency, durability and costs to build solutions which can meet the demands of rapidly growing services
  • Ensure operational readiness of the services and meet the commitments to our customers regarding availability and performance
  • Mentor and coach the engineering team to build good mindsets of security, code quality, and more
  • Raise the bar of hiring new software engineers as a key interviewer

Who You Are:
  • 5+ years industry experience designing, building and supporting large scale systems in production
  • Experience building large scale distributed fault tolerant services
  • Excellent understanding of low level operating systems concepts including multi-threading, memory management, networking and storage, performance and scale
  • Strong CS fundamentals including data structures, algorithms, and distributed systems
  • Systems programming skills including multi-threading, concurrency, etc
  • Track record of identifying and implementing creative solutions
  • Experience with cloud infrastructure - AWS
  • BS in Computer Science; Masters or PhD Preferred
  • Fluency in English

Our tech stacks are:
  • Backend: Ruby on Rails
  • Frontend: React / Typescript
  • Database: PostgreSQL / Redis
  • Infra: AWS / Terraform / Microservice / Protobuf / Kafka / Elasticsearch

What We Offer:
  • A mission-driven and value-based company dedicated to empower deskless workers and local businesses
  • An early employee opportunity at a Series B hyper-growth startup; work with the founding team and industry veterans to accelerate your career
  • Competitive salary and equity
  • Comprehensive health coverage: medical, dental, and vision
  • WeWork Office - Amenities and Perks 
  • Learning/development stipend
  • Unlimited PTO
  • Hybrid Office/WFH schedule

Additional Information 
Workstream provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. 

We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals.

Apply for this position

Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!

Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!

We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.