Senior Ruby On Rails/Elixir DeveloperAt West Arete
- Full Time
- Full Remote
Posted on August 5th
Welcome! We are a certified B Corp that builds mission-critical custom software for higher education.
We believe that the best software comes from an empathetic, knowledgeable team working directly with subject matter experts. The company's philosophy is that life is too short to spend our working years on anything other than projects that positively impact the world. We are incredibly fortunate to work alongside some of the brightest minds in university research, administration, and infrastructure, crafting software together that makes a positive impact. Explore some of our recent projects at https://westarete.com/work/
We are an all-remote company and will always be because we believe that remote work has a tremendously positive impact on people's lives, the environment, and increased productivity. We know that remote work doesn't have to come at the expense of good company culture. Remote work provides flexibility for our employees, and we also understand that finding the best talent requires searching outside your zip code.
- To work alongside visionary clients and colleagues, crafting software that makes a positive impact.
- To lift up the communities that we live in, the environment that surrounds them, and the individuals within them.
- To provide opportunities for the curious to discover the joy of creating elegant, useful software.
- To lead the way on sustainable, responsible business, and share with others how it can be done.
- To provide a place to do the best possible work, while leading the best possible life, with those you love both inside and outside of work.
The Software Developer Role
At West Arete, we believe that the best software comes from empathetic, knowledgeable developers working directly with subject matter experts. This means we work closely with our stakeholders, who are often some of the brightest minds in their field. Code quality, design, and test coverage are of paramount importance. Our software is typically in production use for many years to come, and must undergo continual change. We design, code, and test for the long run. Our clients look to us to raise the state of the art.
Expertise and Expectations
West Arete has primarily developed its web applications using Ruby on Rails, and we’re just starting to build Elixir expertise. As such, our ideal candidate(s) would be advanced Rails developers (essential) potentially interested in Elixir (very nice to have, but not required).
We realize there are numerous individuals out there covering a spectrum of different levels of Software Development expertise. As such, we want to be transparent about what we consider to be advanced position levels so that you can judge where your experience and ambition lie.
Each position level has a set salary based on the listed requirements. Compensation is determined by level of expertise and responsibility, not by negotiation.
Software Developer IV
- Designs and develops software applications
- Performs coding, debugging, testing and troubleshooting throughout the application development process
- Specialist on complex technical and business matters
- Capable of fully developing challenging projects independently, to a high technical standard
- Makes important project decisions regarding direction and scope
- Technical leadership: Influences best practices, coding conventions, and strategy either by example or by assuming a lead role in the group
Software Developer V
All expectations from Software Developer IV and:
- Provides consultation on complex problems
- Works on advanced projects requiring state of the art technical knowledge
- Works autonomously
- Goals are generally communicated in solution or project goal terms
- Able to leverage their expertise to provide a leadership role for the team
- Propagates technical knowledge throughout the rest of the team
- Makes the team around them better, “force multiplier”
Your Specific Skills
Your Rails experience should be commensurate with one of the levels described above. Elixir experience/interest is not required, but is desirable. Here is an example of what an ideal candidate might look like:
Rails Expert / Elixir Enthusiast
Significant experience and expertise with Ruby on Rails
- Software Developer IV or V
- Good TDD, OO design, maintainability, scalability practices for the long run
- Several years experience building and maintaining Rails applications
- Strong desire to learn Elixir
- You’ve already built something with Elixir/Phoenix either personally or professionally
Our Values + Work Environment
We celebrate what makes you unique in this world.
Our work environment is directly reflective of our values and mission to be a leader and a catalyst for positive change. We do everything in our power to provide you with a work environment that allows you to thrive and gives you the framework to live a balanced and healthy life.
- Team-First Approach: We value your opinions and input, as each individual plays a significant role in shaping the company. Innovation thrives when employees and clients feel valued, safe, and respected. With a uniquely collaborative atmosphere, we enable you to develop professionally through education and mentorship.
- Flexible Schedule
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Health Savings Account funded to cover deductible
- IRA Retirement Plan with 3% employer contribution
- Term Life & AD&D Insurance
- Paid Parental Leave
Elective Bonus Programs
- CHAMP (Collective Health Agility and Mobility Program): A bonus program for those who set and complete personal fitness goals.
- Blacksmiths: A small bonus program for those who want to refine and improve our tools to develop software and manage our operations.
Unconventional Paid Time Off Policy
- Vacation Time
- Absent Time: sick, personal, and mental health days
- Volunteer Time
- Mandatory Sabbatical: After one year of employment, expect a fully-paid, fully-unplugged, mandatory 3-week sabbatical every year (yes, in addition to your vacation time!) to pursue something personally fulfilling and developmental that you otherwise wouldn't have been able to accomplish with a typical full-time career.
- B Corp Certified: A designation that a business meets high standards of verified performance, accountability, and transparency on factors from employee benefits and charitable giving to supply chain practices and input materials.
- 1% for the Planet: As members of 1% For The Planet since our inception, we have committed to donating 1% of our revenue to grassroots nonprofit environmental organizations each year. We want everyone to participate in the decision, and all employees choose the organization for their share of the 1% donation.
We welcome applications from qualified and eligible applicants regardless of race, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, disability status, age, veteran status, sex, gender, identity/expression, genetic information, pregnancy, neurodivergency, or any other aspect which makes you unique.
If you have a disability and require reasonable accommodations in the application process, contact us at email@example.com.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.