Senior EngineerAt Vox Media
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on May 31st
The Core Experience teams own the platforms used to create engaging editorial experiences and best-in-class publishing tools to enable our networks to inform, delight and grow our audiences
As a Senior Engineer on the Editorial Product Experience team which is part of the Core Experience Mission, you will work collaboratively every day with your cross-functional team by handling the engineering efforts to push the limits of storytelling by building new features and supporting existing functionality on Vox Media’s web platforms. In this role, you will help implement a larger product roadmap that is informed by the relationships you’ll build with the Vox Media editorial teams.
The goal of the Core Experience Mission team is to guide our audience from discovery to obsession. We inspire essential conversations about what’s now, what’s next, and what’s possible.
As a community of journalists and storytellers, business professionals, creators and technologists, we believe it is a moral and business imperative to amplify voices: to cultivate diversity, equity, and inclusion throughout our organization and media. This applies to our candidates, our teams, our storytelling, our creative work, and our platforms, products, and partnerships.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Plan, architect, and build features for a modern audience experience, serving our many brands and 600 communities
- Keep up-to-date with Ruby and Rails design patterns, best practices and updates.
- Collaborate closely with our team to integrate front and/or backend features in a scalable, secure, seamless and user-focused way
- Contribute to product development, working alongside the team to deliver user stories and technical tasks
- Give constructive feedback to team members via code reviews and architectural reviews
- Mentor junior team members and provide support across teams that use our services.
- Proactively surface technical risks and debt to the team that could impact performance, security, or the ability to scale our tech in the future.
- Contribute to an engineering culture that is inclusive, transparent, supportive, and focused on delivery.
WHO YOU ARE
- At least 3 years of Ruby on Rails experience and MySQL or similar database
- Knowledge of development tools and processes (CI/CD, DevOps, etc)
- Ability to proactively communicate and engage your team across multiple mediums (slack, video calls, email, and code reviews).
- Experience working in a matrixed product organization, closely-coupled with designers and product managers.
- You have an approachable yet professional personality, you communicate well and can articulate a point within a complex issue
- Experience in writing testable code and corresponding tests that verify its behavior
- Experience in architecting, scaling, and delivering high-volume web applications
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with Docker and Kubernetes
- Experience cloud providers (AWS or GCP)
- Experience working with GraphQL APIs in Node.js (Relay, Apollo, or similar)
- Passion for supporting and contributing to a safe, diverse, and inclusive culture
- Expertise with modern UX and design systems and tools
If you think you have what it takes, but don't meet every single point in our job posting, please apply with a cover letter to let us know how you believe you can bring your unique skills to the Vox Media team or get in touch! We’ve hired chefs who became editors, DJs who became UX designers, and sommeliers who became writers.
WHERE YOU’LL WORK
This job is remote. We’re dedicated to the health and wellbeing of all of our employees, and when we reopen, will require everyone who works from one of our offices to be fully-vaccinated against COVID-19. Employees with approved religious or medical exemptions may be subject to additional safety requirements, such as submitting to regular COVID-19 testing and/or wearing a face covering in our offices.
WHY VOX MEDIA?
WHAT WE OFFER
This is a permanent, full-time position. This job is benefits-eligible. We pride ourselves in providing comprehensive benefits to support all of our employees wherever they are in life. You can find more information about our benefits here.
OUR DEI+ COMMITMENT
Vox Media is committed to building an inclusive environment where everyone can show up as their authentic selves and create their best work. We recognize that great stories, platforms, products and services come from people with all manner of backgrounds and experiences. We recognize that our commitments require ongoing work and sustained attention, as well as adaptation to new insights and best practices. We keep our diversity data public for the sake of accountability, transparency and communication. Learn more about our values here, and our approach to corporate citizenship here.
Vox Media is an Equal Opportunity Employer and qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, disability, national origin, protected veteran status, age, or any other status protected by applicable national, federal, state, or local law. Vox Media will also consider all qualified applicants with criminal histories in accordance with applicable Fair Chance laws. We are also committed to providing reasonable accommodations as part of the application process to candidates with disabilities. If you require a reasonable accommodation as part of the application process, please contact our People & Culture team (email@example.com).
WHAT COMES NEXT
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.