Location: Toronto, ON or remote in Canada
Line Manager: Director of Engineering
Contract Terms: Permanent, 37.5 hours per week
Are you a software engineer and up for a new challenge!?
We’re growing fast (over 100% last year) and have important roles to fill! We love live entertainment and bringing fans together for the best moments of their lives. Come make experiences happen with us.
Universe is a leader in online ticketing for virtual & in-person events. We’re growing fast due to innovations in virtual events and timed-entry ticketing. We solve for large complexity and load, serving some of the biggest names in live entertainment (e.g., Dua Lipa, Metallica, Garth Brooks, Meghan Thee Stallion to name a few) and operating in over 15 countries.
We were acquired by Ticketmaster in 2015 which accelerated our growth. With a global team over 30 strong, Universe operates independently with our own roadmap and modern tech stack (including Kubernetes, Docker, Flux, and more) and the financial backing of a Fortune 500 company. Free concert tickets are a cool perk too!
As a Lead Software Engineer at Universe, you will apply your passion for technology and live entertainment to build a world-class ticketing platform. In this deeply technical position, you’ll work closely with your team to build reliable and scalable solutions to tough technical challenges. You’ll deliver great quality code and innovative solutions while growing your skills as both a technical contributor and leader through code reviews, pairing sessions, mentorship opportunities, and both learning and teaching skills to the team. We’re a relatively small team which means you will play a significant and impactful role in contributing to our most important tech systems, informing our culture, and establishing and maintain the high technical bar we’ve established across our product.
Our clients, who include some of the world’s biggest musicians and most sought-after events, rely on Universe to provide a stable, performant, and reliable that can scale quickly to handle unpredictable demand and large traffic and data volumes. You’ll get your hands dirty writing code, architecting solutions, and contributing directly to these systems. Through continuous deployment, you’ll ship frequently and have measurable impact on our product that you can feel proud of. You’ll collaborate with talented developers, designers and product managers, using your deep technical insight to ensure we’re not only building the best software but also building the right software in the best way possible.
Universe primarily uses Ruby on Rails to serve our application data via a combination of REST and GraphQL APIs to a variety of React front-end clients. We’re constantly adopting and testing new tools and technologies within our service-based architecture, so you’ll see some Elixir, Java, and Rust sprinkled in there too.
Our primary datastores are MongoDB, Postgres, and Elastic, though we also use BigQuery. We deploy to GCP and manage our systems with Kubernetes and maintain a continuous deployment pipeline that allows us to ship quickly. Hundreds of thousands of people can come to our site vying for thousands of tickets, so we need to scale quickly and intelligently to handle this demand and prevent conflicts.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Writing new React components with our GraphQL API, building new features, and maintaining existing ones
- Architecting new back-end data models and services in Ruby on Rails and Elixir Phoenix
- Maintaining a positive, productive, and healthy environment on your team
- Working closely with Product Managers and Designers to find the best solutions
- Pair-programming with talented developers
- Providing mentorship and career guidance to other developers
Our job descriptions evolve with our business needs and priorities. In addition to the description above, your role may include additional duties, responsibilities, projects and team support as needed.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (or TECHNICAL SKILLS)
- 5+ years of experience working with productive software engineering teams and writing high-quality software
- Experience with Ruby on Rails and React is a must and will enable you to hit the ground running!
- Effective communicator, written and oral, as this role will be working closely with people from all over the organization
- An independent, fast-learning, self-starter who takes ownership over solving hard problems
- Empathy and interest in supporting and growing your teammates and yourself via feedback, pairing, and code reviews
- Experience with any of the following technologies is a bonus: Elixir, GraphQL. Mongo, Postgres, Elastic, Redis, Java, and Kafka (or similar)
- COVID-19 vaccination will be required for this position, subject to legally entitled accommodations
YOU (BEHAVIOURAL SKILLS)
- Business Acumen – You understand and can apply general business concepts, using external networks to understand market situations and industry.
- Passionate – A love for your craft that pushes you to strive for elegance and quality in your work.
- Winning Teamwork – Collaborating with others in a respectful manner and openly sharing information amongst the team to assist in achieving Ticketmaster goals and objectives. Taking the time to empathize and understand where others are coming from, along with showing recognition and appreciation for the contribution of others.
- Inquisitive – A forever student, always seeking to learn and grow with and from your peers.
- Problem Solving and Innovation – Gathering appropriate perspectives and insights and seeking win-win solutions by remaining open to alternative approaches and being proactive in generating new ideas. Ability to maintain a balanced perspective and see all sides of an issue and manage problems in a timely and effective manner. A free and independent thinker, open to new ideas and concepts.
- Organizational Skills – Manages competing priorities of several teams/departments/locations. Tasks and project management orientation (with the ability to hold others accountable).
LIFE AT TICKETMASTER
We are proud to be a part of Live Nation Entertainment, the world’s largest live entertainment company.
Our vision at Ticketmaster is to connect people around the world to the live events they love. As the world’s largest ticket marketplace and the leading global provider of enterprise tools and services for the live entertainment business, we are uniquely positioned to successfully deliver on that vision.
We do it all with an intense passion for Live and an inspiring and diverse culture driven by accessible leaders, attentive managers, and enthusiastic teams. If you’re passionate about live entertainment like we are, and you want to work at a company dedicated to helping millions of fans experience it, we want to hear from you.
Our work is guided by our values:
Reliability - We understand that fans and clients rely on us to power their live event experiences, and we rely on each other to make it happen.
Teamwork - We believe individual achievement pales in comparison to the level of success that can be achieved by a team
Integrity - We are committed to the highest moral and ethical standards on behalf of the countless partners and stakeholders we represent
Belonging - We are committed to building a culture in which all people can be their authentic selves, have an equal voice and opportunities to thrive
We are passionate and committed to our people and go beyond the rhetoric of diversity and inclusion. You will be working in an inclusive environment and be encouraged to bring your whole self to work. We will do all that we can to help you successfully balance your work and homelife. As a growing business we will encourage you to develop your professional and personal aspirations, enjoy new experiences, and learn from the talented people you will be working with. It's talent that matters to us and we encourage applications from people irrespective of their gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status or caring responsibilities.