Junior Software EngineerAt Ticketmaster
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on June 2nd
- Location: Toronto, ON or remote in Canada
- Division: Universe
- Line Manager: Director of Engineering
- Contract Terms: Permanent, 37.5 hours per week
Are you a software engineer and up for a new challenge!?
- We’re growing fast (over 100% last year) and have important roles to fill! We love live entertainment and bringing fans together for the best moments of their lives. Come make experiences happen with us.
- Universe is a leader in online ticketing for virtual & in-person events. We’re growing fast due to innovations in virtual events and timed-entry ticketing. We solve for large complexity and load, serving some of the biggest names in live entertainment (e.g., Dua Lipa, Metallica, Garth Brooks, Meghan Thee Stallion to name a few) and operating in over 15 countries.
- We were acquired by Ticketmaster in 2015 which accelerated our growth. With a global team over 30 strong, Universe operates independently with our own roadmap and modern tech stack (including Kubernetes, Docker, Flux, and more) and the financial backing of a Fortune 500 company. Free concert tickets are a cool perk too!
- As a Software Engineer at Universe, you will apply your passion for technology and live experiences as we work together to build a world-class Event Ticketing platform. In this deeply technical position, business-minded position, you’ll evolve your front-end and back-end systems and level-up your own skillset. You’ll be challenged with the rewarding tasks of understanding our customers with strong empathy, curating a fantastic product experience, and championing our vision to new heights.
- Our clients, who include some of the world’s biggest musicians and most sought-after events, rely on Universe to provide a stable, performant, and reliable solution that can scale quickly to handle unpredictable demand and large volumes of traffic and data. You’ll get your hands dirty writing code, architecting solutions, and contributing directly to these systems. Through continuous deployment, you’ll ship frequently and have measurable impact on our product that you can feel proud of. You’ll collaborate with talented developers, designers, and product manager, using your deep technical insight to ensure we’re not only building the best software but also building the right software in the best way possible.
- Universe primarily uses Ruby on Rails to serve our application data via a combination of REST and GraphQL APIs to a variety of React front-end clients. We’re constantly adopting and testing new tools and technologies within our service-based architecture, so you’ll see some Elixir, Java, and Rust sprinkled in there too.
- Our primary datastores are MongoDB, Postgres, and Elastic, though we also use BigQuery. We deploy to GCP and manage our systems with Kubernetes and maintain a continuous deployment pipeline that allows us to ship quickly. Hundreds of thousands of people can come to our site vying for thousands of tickets, so we need to scale quickly and intelligently to handle this demand and prevent conflicts.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING
- Writing new React components with our GraphQL API, building new features, and maintaining existing ones
- Architecting new back-end data models and services in Ruby on Rails and Elixir Phoenix
- Testing your code with automation
- Pair-programming with talented developers
- Our job descriptions evolve with our business needs and priorities. In addition to the description above, your role may include additional duties, responsibilities, projects and team support as needed.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW (or TECHNICAL SKILLS)
- Minimum of 1 year of professional experience working as a Software Developer
- Experience working with productive software engineering teams and writing high-quality software
- Any experience with Ruby on Rails and React (or similar) that will enable you to hit the ground running is an asset
- Effective communicator, written and oral, as this role will be working closely with people from all over the organization
- An independent, fast-learning, self-starter who takes ownership over solving hard problems
- Experience with any of the following technologies is a bonus: Elixir, GraphQL. Mongo, Postgres, Elastic, Redic, Java, and Kafka (or similar)
- COVID-19 vaccination will be required for this position, subject to legally entitled accommodations
YOU (BEHAVIOURAL SKILLS)
- Business Acumen – You understand and can apply general business concepts, using external networks to understand market situations and industry.
- Passionate – A love for your craft that pushes you to strive for elegance and quality in your work.
- Winning Teamwork – Collaborating with others in a respectful manner and openly sharing information amongst the team to assist in achieving Ticketmaster goals and objectives. Taking the time to empathize and understand where others are coming from, along with showing recognition and appreciation for the contribution of others.
- Inquisitive – A forever student, always seeking to learn and grow with and from your peers.
- Problem Solving and Innovation – Gathering appropriate perspectives and insights and seeking win-win solutions by remaining open to alternative approaches and being proactive in generating new ideas. Ability to maintain a balanced perspective and see all sides of an issue and manage problems in a timely and effective manner. A free and independent thinker, open to new ideas and concepts.
- Organizational Skills – Manages competing priorities of several teams/departments/locations. Tasks and project management orientation (with the ability to hold others accountable).
LIFE AT TICKETMASTER
- We are proud to be a part of Live Nation Entertainment, the world’s largest live entertainment company.
- Our vision at Ticketmaster is to connect people around the world to the live events they love. As the world’s largest ticket marketplace and the leading global provider of enterprise tools and services for the live entertainment business, we are uniquely positioned to successfully deliver on that vision.
- We do it all with an intense passion for Live and an inspiring and diverse culture driven by accessible leaders, attentive managers, and enthusiastic teams. If you’re passionate about live entertainment like we are, and you want to work at a company dedicated to helping millions of fans experience it, we want to hear from you.
- Our work is guided by our values:
- Reliability - We understand that fans and clients rely on us to power their live event experiences, and we rely on each other to make it happen.
- Teamwork - We believe individual achievement pales in comparison to the level of success that can be achieved by a team
- Integrity - We are committed to the highest moral and ethical standards on behalf of the countless partners and stakeholders we represent
- Belonging - We are committed to building a culture in which all people can be their authentic selves, have an equal voice and opportunities to thrive
- We are passionate and committed to our people and go beyond the rhetoric of diversity and inclusion. You will be working in an inclusive environment and be encouraged to bring your whole self to work. We will do all that we can to help you successfully balance your work and homelife. As a growing business we will encourage you to develop your professional and personal aspirations, enjoy new experiences, and learn from the talented people you will be working with. It's talent that matters to us and we encourage applications from people irrespective of their gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, disability status or caring responsibilities.
- Ticketmaster Canada will provide reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. If you have difficulty using our online application system and need an accommodation due to a disability, please email email@example.com. Please note this inbox is limited to accommodation requests. Resumes submitted to this inbox will not be considered.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.