Simply Business is more than our name. It's how we approach insurance: Make it clear. Make it simple. Make it affordable. By combining exceptional talent, technology, data, and knowledge, Simply Business is the go-to online insurance brokerage that protects small businesses and the entrepreneurs who work hard to build them.
We want team members who have the drive to challenge boundaries. If you’re smart and passionate about delivering brilliant customer experiences, we’d love to hear from you.
We need an Engineering Lead to join us in Boston, MA.
In this role, you will develop customer focused products in a culture which champions Agile, cross functional teams and continuous collaboration.
As a Engineering Lead, you will:
- Work with small, cross-functional, collaborative teams to drive out requirements, highlight risks and prioritize stories
- Work with team members to identify areas for learning and helping them grow in these areas via project work, external learning, or additional mentoring
- Being hands on in developing our products using best practices, and appropriate tools and technologies
- Leading a small project team of engineers based in Boston and London
- Championing agile methodologies whilst creating useful systems for our customers in a collaborative way
- Highlighting areas for continuous improvement and driving their prioritization
- Being proactive in suggesting new tools, technologies, and ways of working
What We Are Looking For:
- Experience of leading a small project or product team of Engineers
- Strong programming skills in any language. We look for strong engineers and our philosophy is that a strong engineer is not defined by the technologies they use, so Ruby experience is not essential. You’ll just need to be happy to cross-over to Ruby if you join us – and we’ll support you with that
- The ability to challenge us! We love people who come in and aren’t afraid to raise questions and help us improve
- Strong communication and collaborative skills and strong desire to liaise closely with business teams
- An advocate of engineering best practices
Our Tech Stack:
- Ruby/Ruby on Rails
What are the benefits?
Here are some of the great benefits and perks that come from being a Simply Business employee:
• A salary that reflects your experience, our pay policy, and the market we’re in from your first day
• Group plan for medical, dental, vision, and prescription drug coverage
• Short term disability, long term disability, and life insurance coverage
• Participation in the Company’s bonus program
• Participation in 401(k) plan with a 3% employer match
• Commuter benefits to help cut down on parking and public transit costs
• 25 days of vacation time plus 10 sick days and 10 company holidays
• A genuine investment in your learning and development
• Annual company trip, regular outings, and volunteer opportunities
• An awesome WeWork office with cold brew coffee and other beverages on tap, local pop-up events, and more
Simply Business is an equal opportunity employer. We're committed to welcoming and helping to grow employees within an inclusive & diverse culture. And that commitment starts with our interview process.
Once you apply, your info will be reviewed in a committee with employees from different levels, teams, and experiences. We pride ourselves on fostering a sense of community, which is only made stronger by each individual at SB, so you'll have the opportunity to meet a variety of people throughout the process. Get excited!
What's going on with work from home and return to the office?
More and more, people are talking about going back to the workplace and the new normal. At Simply Business, we’re thinking of it as a Better Normal. That means offering our SBers more choice and greater flexibility to work in a way that’s best for their particular job, their teams, and their lives.
We’re shifting to a hybrid working model, so we’ll have employees working virtually and in the office at any given time.
We’re also aware there are times when working together in person is the best way to get things done. We expect our SBers to connect in their hubs (that’s what we call our offices) most likely once every few weeks. That said, there’s no one-size-fits-all solution, so we expect all SBers and their teams will find the operating rhythm that works best for them.
If you’re wondering what it might be like for you at Simply Business, our Talent Acquisition is happy to answer any questions. In fact for them, it’s perfectly normal.
Most of our interviews will still take place over Zoom (however, depending on the role, there may be the opportunity/expectation to meet members of the team in-person). If it looks like you could be a good fit for the role, we’ll ask you to interview on Zoom – you’ll need WiFi and a laptop, or a 4G-enabled smartphone. If you don’t have access to either of these, or you need support with your application, get in touch with us at email@example.com. Similarly, please email us with any questions or if you want to pause your application for a bit – we’ll be happy to keep you updated on future opportunities like the one above.