Back End Engineer, TransactionsAt Reverb
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on June 21st
Reverb is the largest online marketplace dedicated to buying and selling new, used, and vintage musical instruments. Since launching in 2013, Reverb has grown into a vibrant community of buyers and sellers all over the world. By focusing on inspiring content, price transparency, musician-focused e-commerce tools, a music-savvy customer service team, and more, Reverb has created an online destination where the global music community can connect over the perfect piece of music gear.
We love working at Reverb because we’re making the world more musical—through our marketplace and through Reverb Gives, which provides musical instruments to youth music education programs. We were named a “Best Place to Work” by Built in Chicago and a “Top Workplace'' by the Chicago Tribune.
We build primarily in Ruby/Rails, Python, Go and React, but we value identifying the right tool for the job. We believe in fast feedback cycles, clean architecture, continuous deployment and validating our ideas in production as soon as we can.
Everyone at Reverb takes initiative, helps set their own priorities, and comes up with ways to grow the business. Our software engineers take pride in crafting great software but take even more pride in product ownership, taking ideas from concept to release and beyond.
This is a full-time position reporting to the Engineering Manager. We are open to remote hires within multiple states as well as candidates local to Chicago, IL [who are comfortable reporting to an office at least 4 days per month]. For candidates who will work remotely visit this link for a list of approved locations.
Here are the qualities we look for in our potential hires:
Product ownership – we are not just software engineers and designers. At Reverb, you’ll be expected to track the performance of features you release, talk to stakeholders, fix bugs, and understand your impact on the business.
Self-motivation - taking the initiative to get things done by finding ways around potential roadblocks and proactively working with other team members to find right-sized solutions.
Leadership - you have a framework of how you want to quickly and safely ship software, are ready to implement that vision, and can instill that vision in others.
- Building the Reverb payment platform in Rails and scaling it to millions of users and a growing engineering team.
- Focusing primarily on back end development, with the understanding and desire to work with front end technologies as needed
- Taking a pragmatic approach to product development through understanding and making well-reasoned technical decisions and tradeoffs.
- Participating in pairing sessions, code reviews, and researching things independently.
- Elevating your direct team members and other developers through continuous mentorship.
- Being more than an engineer - a product owner who wants to interact with internal stakeholders, break down large problems, and follow up on the performance of your features to know how they impact the business directly.
- 2+ years of professional experience with web technologies and applicable RDBMSes (we use Ruby on Rails and Postgres).
- Comfort in your chosen languages and frameworks, but curiosity and ability to ramp up on new technologies quickly when called for.
- Some comfort working at the command line is extremely helpful.
- Experience with unit testing (whether TDD, BDD, or spike it first and test it later) and a desire to push everyone to do better.
- Great communication skills and the desire to collaborate across departments and with customers.
- An inherent desire to solve challenging problems, while still maintaining clean, easily maintainable code.
Reverb offers compensation packages that include base, bonus, and equity in the form of Etsy restricted stock units. Some of our key benefits include but are not limited to the following:
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for employees and their eligible dependents (you read it right: no premiums!)
- Life, AD&D, and supplemental long-and short-term disability insurance
- A matching 401(k)
- A generous PTO policy that includes vacation, sick/mental health days plus 11 paid holidays and two floating holidays
- 18 weeks of gender-neutral parental leave for the birth or adoption of a child
- Up to $7,500 reimbursement of adoption-related expenses
- Paid sabbatical program
- Ways to give back to your community through a charitable contribution match and volunteer time off
We're embracing a flexible work model, which empowers our people to do their best work一wherever they are. You can learn more about this approach throughout our interview process.
At Reverb, we believe that a diverse, equitable and inclusive workplace makes us a more relevant and resilient company. We welcome people from all backgrounds, ethnicities, cultures, and experiences. Reverb is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital or family status, disability, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or any other legally protected status. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided a reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform crucial job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
We know that the impostor syndrome and confidence gap are real. Please do not hesitate to apply!
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.