Software Development ManagerAt OpsLevel
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on June 23rd
The dev team at OpsLevel is growing rapidly and looking for leaders who pursue technical excellence, love the fast-paced and evolving environment of startups, and believe the best outcomes emerge from smart people collaborating together. At OpsLevel, we trust and empower our people with the autonomy to make impactful decisions quickly. Ownership is our Top Secret recipe for rapidly scaling up.
We’ve validated a huge market and brought “you build it, you own it” service ownership and service maturity to the world with our microservice catalog. Teams and organizations now depend on OpsLevel to help discover, operate, and maintain hundreds of microservices easily and efficiently…but that’s just the tip of the iceberg. We’re on to the next big challenge, creating the developer portal. With a simplified workflow, developers and owners can go from idea to up and running with the click of a button. No more looking up stale configurations, pouring through documentation, or losing time in red tape.
We’re a well-funded remote-first startup founded in Toronto, Canada with people all over Canada and the US. Our team is led by alumni from success stories like Amazon, Shopify, and PagerDuty where they gained years of experience working with DevOps and dev tooling. Keeping pace with the rapid growth of our dev org, we’re looking for bright, talented software dev managers to lead our new teams.
Our culture and values ground us in how we interact as one team:
• Empathy: Think of others; think of your users
• Growth Mindset: Get comfortable with being uncomfortable
• Intellectual Honesty: The best solution is more important than anyone's ego
• Focus & Efficiency: Keep the main thing the main thing
What you’ll do if you join
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will be responsible for a team of 4-6 engineers, acting as a force-multiplier for our culture and values:
• Bring “you build it, you own it” to life
• Create an environment of extreme ownership in your team to prioritize and ship impactful features quickly
• Collaborate with Product and Engineering leadership to build and maintain a composite roadmap, reflecting both technical and business priorities
• Grow your people. Help your team advance in their careers through goal setting, coaching / mentorship, regular feedback, and 1:1s
• Grow your team. Recruit and hire amazing developers to join OpsLevel
• Contribute to engineering-wide initiatives as a member of our engineering leadership team
We believe in boring technology because it’s well tested and simple. Our current stack is:
• Ruby on Rails (our main application’s backend)
• Vue.js (our app’s UI)
• GraphQL (how the UI and the backend talk to each other; also used by customers as part of our platform)
• MySQL (gotta store those bits somewhere)
• Redis (some bits gotta be stored faster)
• Terraform (config as code, because any other way is painful)
• Kubernetes (we use AWS EKS)
• Golang (for various operational tools and our open source offerings).
What you have
• 3+ years experience leading or managing technical teams with a product-delivery focus
• An empathetic, empowering, and inclusive approach that makes everyone feel safe and welcome
• A sense of what is urgent and what is important and how to prioritize competing issues
• Good opinions on scaling software, cloud architecture, and design principles which are weakly held
Nice to haves
You have worked as an individual contributor or lead teams that worked with with Ruby on Rails, GraphQL, or VueJS
• Experience developing highly available web applications in AWS with a modern stack
• Familiarity with the dynamic responsibilities of being a manager in a startup
"Should I apply?" - Yes!
If you meet some or most of the “about you’s” and “nice to have”s above, we want to hear from you, and if you’re unsure - apply anyways! You can find an overview of what to expect during our interview process here.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.