At Numero, we build software that powers our democracy. Running for office is hard work – the outdated software that runs campaigns makes it even harder. We believe it doesn’t have to be that way. That’s why we built Numero, a modern financial platform that Democratic elected officials and candidates at all levels of public office can use to manage the $4.5 billion in annual contributions to their political campaigns.
We’re a team of technologists, software engineers, and financial professionals who previously founded several startups and managed a run for Congress. We’re backed by Y Combinator, Initialized Capital, 776, and prominent angel investors including the co-founders and leaders of Instagram, Reddit, Codeacademy, Netflix, and WIRED.
We’re looking for software engineers who are excited to help us build out the financial infrastructure underpinning our democracy – come join us!
What We’re Building
Every feature of Numero is built from the ground-up with deep empathy for our users. We get their pain points because they were our pain points.
Our core product is a CRM software suite that includes a CRM, a native mobile app, payment processor, referral tracker, and event management system to keep donations, pledges, and donors organized in a single place. We've also just launched Electables – a grassroots fundraising platform that rewards donors' support with NFTs (minted on the energy efficient Flow blockchain). Some of the exciting projects we’re working on include:
- Algorithms to match and cleanse contact data to help our clients manage relationships and stay compliant with campaign finance limits.
- A custom querying language (dubbed “NumeroQL”) that enables flexible real-time search, allowing campaigns to quickly generate lists and reports.
- Secure data pipelines that import and standardize contribution data to give our clients a real-time snapshot of their fundraising performance.
- Calltime Mode™️ that enables candidates and their staff to effortlessly coordinate donor outreach and fundraising while working together and on the go.
- Standardized integrations with third party platforms, enabling our customers to flexibly manage their data across all the tools that they use.
- Scaling our GraphQL API backend to serve ever more frontend clients (including a React native mobile app, our web app, and a few Next.JS apps).
Who We’re Looking For
We’re looking for engineers who have at least 6 years of professional software engineering experience and for whom the following values and concepts resonate:
💡 Eager, excited mentors. You are excited to work on a variety of products and help level up your teammates who work on different parts of the stack.
💁 Customer-first orientation. You empathize with our clients’ needs and you care about building things the right way in order to create experiences that people will love.
📡 Clear, thoughtful communication. You know that having everyone on the same page is critical for success and openly share your ideas and concerns with your teammates!
🤸🏾 Conscientious + Flexible. As a remote team, we all have different working styles, and we encourage you to find the balance that suits you best. You and your teammates can decide when to pair and when to fly solo.
As a valued member of our engineering team, you’ll make an impact by doing the following:
🏗 Architect, build, and deploy new features daily, across our growing product lines including the CRM, payment processing, grassroots fundraising / NFT platform, and more. Help refine, develop, and estimate timelines for new products on our roadmap.
- 🥞 Bolster our backend, while building across the stack – we use a Ruby/Rails backend with a custom Ruby service object pattern that delivers data to a TypeScript/React/Apollo frontend using GraphQL.
- 🏭 Scale and optimize our data + hosting infrastructure – we're hosted on Heroku and use Postgres, Redis, Memcache, and some Elasticsearch for our various data needs.
- 🧪 Write just enough tests to find greater peace of mind 🧘 – we test with RSpec (Ruby), Jest (React), and Cypress (end-to-end).
- 👯♂️ Review pull requests and mentor teammates in areas where you have particular strengths. Help with interviewing and recruiting new engineers to join our team!
We don’t need candidates to be able to do all of the above on day one – in fact, we expect all engineers to grow into their roles and level up over time. We’re all learners at heart and happily invest in our teammates through mentorship, pair programming, and projects that grow their technical skills. We even developed an onboarding course of all new engineers called 👨🏻🏫 Numero Escuela 🎒📓
What We Offer
We are a small, tight-knit, and diverse team building products that are used every day by some of our country’s most important elected leaders and their staff. In addition to offering challenging projects and rewarding work, we offer competitive salaries and generous equity.
We know that early employees like you are taking a chance on us as much as we are on you, so we compensate you accordingly.
Salary Range: $140K - $160K + Equity
We also want to empower you to do the best work of your career. To do that, we provide the following benefits:
- 🏖 Flexible PTO (including a minimum of two weeks of required leave each year)
- 🏥 High quality medical, dental, and vision benefits
- 🐣 Eight weeks of paid parental leave
💻 New Macbook Pro with your choice of monitor, accessories, and headphones
- 🏡 $500 for your work-from-home setup (we currently work remotely); please note that while we currently work remotely, future travel for company events and meetings is to be expected.
- 📚 $500/year professional development budget for books, courses, conferences, etc.
You’ll also have the opportunity to work closely with our founding team and angel investors who have deep experience at the intersection of politics and technology.
There’s been a 40% increase in the number of people running for office in recent years. Inspired by the current state of politics, people from every background imaginable have stepped up to run, including our CEO, Brian, who ran for Congress in 2018. Our other two co-founders, Susie and Karan, led the finance and technology arms of his campaign. They learned firsthand the painful process of manually stitching together critical finance and compliance data using outdated campaign software.
Our mission is to change that painful process and liberate hard-working candidates, campaign staff, and volunteers, letting them focus on their most important work: talking with voters and representing their constituents in their communities.
In our first three years, we’ve already helped more than 300 campaigns manage over $1 billion in contributions. And there’s much more room for us to grow. The US has more than 500,000 elected officials, and many more candidates run for office at all levels of government.
Who We Are
Our CEO, Brian, was a Senior Tech Advisor in the Obama White House, taught at MIT, and co-founded one of the largest phone companies in Nicaragua. Our CTO, Karan, oversaw the technical infrastructure of 80 campaigns last cycle and is a 3x startup CTO. Our CFO, Susie, was the Corporate VP of Finance & Accounting for AECOM, an 87,000-person company.
We believe our democracy is strongest when it’s represented by the diversity of our country. Similarly, we believe the strength of our company will come from the diversity of our employees – that's why we've worked hard to ensure that our cap table is fully diverse and that half of our angel investors are women. If you share our values and enthusiasm for strengthening our democracy, you’ll feel at home at Numero!
To apply, submit this application
sharing a bit about why you're excited to work at Numero, your resume, and links to any public online profiles (e.g. Github, LinkedIn, etc) you’d like to share.
If it seems like we might be a good fit, we’ll schedule a quick 30 minute call to chat about your past work and go from there. Go for it! We can’t wait to hear from you! 🙂