Software Engineer - SecurityAt Modern Treasury
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on June 22nd
We're looking for a software engineer focusing on security to join our Engineering team. In this role, you will be building systems and programs to secure Modern Treasury's products and platform. Our payments product is the core of our platform that helps businesses move and track money, reconciling over $2B+ in volume per month. The ledgers product is a novel managed database product that helps customers maintain a source of truth for high-volume financial transactions and is already tracking hundreds of millions of dollars for customers.
Each of our products involve complex data transport and storage with critical security requirements. We are hiring a security expert who can inform key architectural decisions during development. Specifically, this part of our team might be right for you if:
- You have built proactive security systems and programs focusing on infrastructure, information and application security
- You have conducted regular vulnerability analysis, pen tests, configuration and architecture reviews, and responded to incidents and CVE reports. You have triaged reports and fixed critical security bugs and applied security patches to production software. You have put in place security monitoring tools and other defense mechanisms
- You have architected product security features to provide data segregation, access controls, encryption and authentication in transit and rest, and other security guarantees that are easily usable by customers within the product
Our API is often the most critical piece of infrastructure that our customers use. We place a premium on building robust, scalable systems that can sustain a high volume of API calls and exceed the reliability requirements to move money at scale. We complement this with well-thought out interfaces for our users and pride in writing quality API docs.
We believe in using the best tool for the job, rather than always using open source or building things ourselves. We actively embrace open source in parts of our system but aren't afraid to roll our own solution for things like writing and parsing bank files. We also contribute to open source (for example, https://www.moderntreasury.com/journal/continuous-accounting-building-on-an-open-source-library).
In addition to our API, we have had a web platform since day 1 that is used by accountants, controllers, and engineers. They use our platform to do things like manage payment workflows and monitor their business. As an engineer, you will work with our product team to build products and features for these users.
ABOUT MODERN TREASURY
Modern Treasury is payment operations software for businesses with a high volume of transactions or complex payment flows. Modern Treasury automates the full cycle of money movement — from payment initiation, through approvals, to reconciliation and tracking.
Our mission is to transform the way businesses move and track money, driving toward a world where payments are real-time, reconciliation is instant, and accounting is continuous.
WEEK BY WEEK
During your first week you will:
- Get to know our leadership, culture, and values
- Onboard with the engineering team
- Ship your first commit on day 1
- Take on 1-2 small tickets to address bugs or make minor improvements
- Read our favorite industry primers
During your first six weeks you will:
- Ship your first major project
- Write your first blog post. We love writing at Modern Treasury (and have been on the front page of Hacker News multiple times with posts like "What Happens When You ACH a Dead Person?" and "How to Build an Insurance Company")
- Shadow a few customer and partner meetings every week
During your first six months you will:
- Work with our product team to scope and ship products for both our engineering and finance users
- Help grow our team by mentoring new engineers, writing internal tooling and documentation, and interviewing new hires
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE
- Experience building web applications professionally for 2+ years
- Experience working with SQL/Relational databases
TECHNOLOGIES WE USE
- Ruby on Rails for our backend framework
- React, GraphQL, and Tailwind CSS on the front end
- Postgres for our database
- Redis for caching
- AWS for infrastructure and hosting
- Docker for containerization
- GitHub for source code management
- Buildkite for continuous integration
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.