Lead Ruby on Rails DeveloperAt Lighthouse Labs
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on July 31st
Lighthouse Labs is looking to welcome a new Team Lead for our Software Development team. Our new Software Development Team Lead will report into the Director, Technology. As the team lead you will lead a team of developers to success by owning, building, maintaining, and improving on current applications used to deliver Lighthouse Labs operations. You will oversee each aspect of the development process, and act as the liaison between your team and upper management.
What you’ll be doing:
- Leading (but not managing) a team of software development professionals, which involves technical planning, discussing possible solutions and deciding on the ideal one, performing code reviews, merging code changes and even deployment.
- Writing features, enhancements and fixing bugs in our existing web applications.
- Learning about and becoming acutely aware of each of our software products in terms of their capabilities, limitations and roadmaps.
- Work closely with our Director of Technology and across functional stakeholders, such as our Education, Product, Sales, and Marketing teams, to develop the best technical design and approach for our existing applications.
- Instill best practices for software development and documentation, ensuring that design meets requirements, and deliver high-quality work on tight schedules.
- Translate business requirements into technical solutions, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, plan architectural changes and lead software development efforts to meet timelines with optimal solutions.
- Collaborate with the Data team for software features with data expertise and involvement (reports, etc.)
Our current technology stack:
- Ruby on Rails
What we need from you:
- 7+ years of Software Development experience, with 3+ years of coaching and/or training junior developers.
- Strong combination of technical education and work experience.
- Deep hands-on technical expertise in web-technologies.
- Solid software development background including design patterns, data structures, and automated testing.
- Experience building and maintaining web applications (SPAs and/or MPAs) developed using MVC frameworks such as Rails, Django or similar
- Software development experience in building web services and highly scalable applications.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Why you’ll like the job:
- Fast-paced culture focused on continuous learning and growth
- 4 WEEKS PTO! (15 vacation days, 5 personal days)
- Unlimited sick days
- A remote working budget to get your home office up and running
- A learning fund to support professional development
- Flexible working hours
- 100% employer-paid health benefits
Here are some key values that we follow:
- Mentorship-centric approach to growth: You’ll be part of a smart startup-esque team that employs the same principles that we impart to students and mentors enrolled in our programs, where peer-to-peer mentorship is a central part of how we grow and learn. Furthermore, we aim to have a flat learning environment where everyone has the opportunity to bring their knowledge and strength to the table.
- Remote-first collaboration: Our communication process is set up with remote-work in mind: open, async-first and meeting-light. While it’s preferred that you are living in Canada (EST - PST timezone), we can and have accommodated other more disparate time zones as well!
- More than Code: We push our developers to help us solve problems beyond just writing code. With a small team, everyone wears multiple hats, and developers are often involved in shaping features and enhancements themselves
Lighthouse Labs was founded in 2013 with the mission to effectively and efficiently prepare the workforce with the analytical and technical skills necessary to succeed in a world of automation. With an initial focus on our open-enrolment developer bootcamp, we have grown into a leading provider of professional education services, delivering outstanding educational outcomes for our students. Our secret? Innovative curriculum, proprietary edtech, unique mentorship and career services and partnerships with government and industry leading organizations. We’re a bunch of quirky, inclusive and smart people who are changing lives by reimagining education - join us!
Lighthouse Labs is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. All positions at this time are remote, and we welcome all applicants. Talk to us to find out about our learning fund and other perks!
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.