Staff Software Engineer, Payment EngineAt Justworks
- Full Time
Posted on June 23rd
At Justworks, you’ll enjoy a welcoming and casual environment, great benefits, wellness program offerings, company retreats, and the ability to interact with and learn from leaders in the startup community. We work hard and care about our most prized asset - our people.
We’re helping businesses get off the ground by enabling them to focus on running their business. We solve HR issues. We’re data-driven and never stop iterating. If you’d like to work in a supportive, entrepreneurial environment, are interested in building something meaningful and having fun while doing it, we’d love to hear from you.
We're united by shared goals and shared motivations at Justworks. These are best summed up in our company values, which are reflected in our product and in our team.
If this sounds like you, you’ll fit right in.
Who You Are
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will be a part of our Payment Engine team, focusing on the fundamental infrastructure that powers payments at Justworks. The Payments & Tax Unit (PTU) is responsible for the critical operations of processing payments and taxes accurately and on time.
As a successful candidate, you have demonstrated the ability to build, maintain, and optimize applications. You want to understand how systems work, and you think about how to make them work even better. You will leverage your demonstrated ability to own and lead the implementation of features in large-scale, distributed applications to support the long term growth of Justworks.
You are eager to learn and passionate about improvement. You spend significant amounts of time directly assisting and leveling up other engineers. You understand the concept of “separation of concerns” and have leveraged design patterns to solve technical challenges. You look for signals in the noise and can mitigate potential issues before they become problems.
Your Success Profile
What You Will Work On
- Design and develop core application functionality to process payments and payroll taxes
- Design and develop reusable interfaces and APIs to power future initiatives
- Collaborate with a cross-functional PTU team across engineering, operations, and product
- Mentor other engineers by forging relationships of continuous learning and improvement
- Add capabilities to our high-volume, fault-tolerant payment processing engine
- Keep extremely sensitive data compartmentalized and secure
- Perform other related duties as assigned
How You Will Do Your Work
As a Software Engineer, how results are achieved is paramount for your success and ultimately result in our success as an organization. In this role, your foundational knowledge, skills, abilities and personal attributes are anchored in the following competencies:
- Good judgement - the exercise of critical thinking, analyzing and assessing problems and implications, identifying patterns, making connections of underlying issues, understanding risks and developing mitigation strategies, and taking ownership of the outcome.
- Resourcefulness - taking a can-do approach, even in the face of obstacles and constraints by assessing what’s in front of you and effectively and efficiently optimizing what you have, whether it's working on something new or thinking about how to do something better.
- Teamwork and communication - putting our collective best together through documentation, collaboration, relationship-building, listening, empathy, recruiting, and evangelism.
- Influence and leadership - fostering a community of knowledge-sharing, collaboration, mentorship, and forward-thinking
- Skills and knowledge - the capacity to actively learn and apply specific domain knowledge, know-how, and best practices to continually enhance and improve.
In addition, all Justworkers focus on aligning their behaviors to our core values known as COGIS. It stands for:
- Camaraderie - Day to day you can be seen working together toward a higher purpose. You like to have fun. You’re an active listener, treat people respectfully, and have a strong desire to know and help others.
- Openness - Your default is to be open. You're willing to share information, understand other perspectives, and consider new possibilities. You’re curious, ask open questions, and are receptive to thoughts and feedback from others.
- Grit - You demonstrate grit by having the courage to commit and persevere. You’re committed, earnest, and dive in to get the job done well with a positive attitude.
- Integrity - Simply put, do what you say and say what you'll do. You’re honest and forthright, have a strong moral compass, and strive to match your words with your actions while leading by example.
- Simplicity - Be like Einstein: “Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler.”
- Hands-on experience working with complicated systems at scale (8+ years preferred)
- Strong systems architecture and object-oriented coding skills
- Experience building APIs and/or webhooks
- Experience in Ruby on Rails strongly preferred, though we expect staff candidates to leverage a diverse skill set
- Willingness to encourage and teach others in developing their careers
- Prior Ruby experience is a plus!
Please Note: Justworks requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated within six weeks of their hire date as a condition of employment unless you qualify for a reasonable accommodation. For additional information on our policy, please click here.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.