Staff Software DeveloperAt Jane Software
- Full Time
- Full Remote
Posted on August 5th
Are you looking to apply your craft to a mission-driven environment where you solve actual real-world problems that positively impact people's lives? Well, this may be the place for you. Jane is experiencing hyper-growth and we're not only looking for the ability to design, build and deliver complex features or services but also people that are passionate about empowering the team. If you're fulfilled by seeing your team succeed, and have a desire for continuous improvement and operational excellence through to production, we would love to hear from you.
As a future Staff Developer in Jane, we’re looking for a strong aptitude for technical leadership, mentoring, business acumen, and supporting teams on deliverables. You’ll lead by example, handle complex and large scope projects and be excited about participating in medium-term vision. At Jane, this is the fork in the road for IC vs Manager track with an emphasis on leading technically vs being a people leader. There are no expectations of becoming a Manager here, we would love to see you lead and influence across teams and be an essential part of the success of the development team and Jane as a whole.
Like with all positions at Jane, this position is a remote position, allowing you to work anywhere you want across Canada. Building a delighted team who can delight our customers is part of Jane’s DNA, so even though we’re not a strict 9 to 5 environment, we’re working hard to ensure that you also have a life outside of work. We pride ourselves on flexibility & autonomy, and when it comes to decision making, we take a decentralized approach ensuring that our teams' voices aren't just heard, but are acted upon. We're building something special at Jane, and we back that up with an employee stock option plan that ensures that everyone has a chance to share in Jane’s success.
We really want the people who work at Jane to love being here, so it's important that we start off with a bit about what makes our company unique. Here are some specifics about what Jane is all about, and with these, hopefully, you have a better idea if this might be the kind of company you want to be part of.
We’re a North Vancouver-born SaaS company with a distributed remote team across Canada, and our platform is modernizing the world of practice management software. We enable the likes of physiotherapists, mental health counsellors, chiropractors, and other allied health practitioners to run their practices in a digital-first way through features such as online booking, charting, scheduling, secure video, and billing along with an evolving library of features.
Tens of thousands of healthcare practices globally are now running on Jane. In 2021, we processed over 73 million patient appointments, and our scheduling application alone handles more than 10 million API calls per day. Jane is now the number one choice for Allied Healthcare practitioners in Canada. We’re growing quicker in the US than we were here in Canada 3 years ago, and we’re now helping run clinics in 44 countries.
We’re profitable, product-led and growing organically to the point where 85% of our customer growth is either from customer referrals or word of mouth. Growth like this is unique, especially in the world of SaaS, and it doesn’t happen by chance. We have a brilliant team of over 250 employees who all do an amazing job of listening to our customers, building what they need, and providing industry-leading support.
Last year alone we’ve grown our development team from 36 to 70, and the product team has doubled as a whole. 2022 is going to be a big year for Jane as we’re investing heavily into patient experience with our first patient-facing mobile app, enhancing our telehealth experience, building our own (J)analytics platform, working on global insurance integrations, and introducing new features like HIPAA compliant chat.
Of course, it's not all about the numbers, but this puts into perspective the scale of Jane, from the thousands of practitioners whose lives are made easier each day to the millions of patients receiving treatment. If you’re the type of person excited by this growth, we’d love to speak with you.
To be successful in this role
- You've helped build, release, and maintain software iteratively and consistently, leveraging processes, data, and tooling where needed to make your team more effective and help improve over time.
- You're a coach and proactively mentor your teams, helping them improve their overall skills through code reviews and pair programming
- You have strong technical expertise in your team’s domains while focusing on the most challenging deliveries, driving best practices, managing risks and making relevant trade-offs
- An advocate of modern technologies, design patterns, and best practices to deliver new projects for your team while at the same time, proactively seeking feedback from peers to improve
- Embrace accountability for the team by advocating and delivering work that is well planned, delivers high-quality from design to production and is impactful to customers
- Be a great communicator ensuring that the team knows what they’re committing to through an agile and iterative approach
- Along with your team, champion our customer use cases ensuring that your team solves real-world problems prioritizing the safety and security of our Product
- Continuously seek improvement from a quality and productivity standpoint on deliverables, code reviews, performance, and security.
- Experience working in a large volume production environment that’s supported by Ruby on Rails & React.
- You have a strong background in SaaS startups going through hyper-growth, having helped scale quality practices across multiple teams, and are familiar with 100% year-over-year growth pressures.
- You have been involved in a team transitioning from a more traditional development model toward a DevOps-style environment.
- You have helped create stronger boundaries in a large monolith or have helped break a monolith into an SOA or Microservice architecture.
- Extended healthcare from day one.
- Parental top-up.
- Participation in Jane’s employee stock option plan (JSOP).
- Investment in your career development & growth.
- $500 annual health spending account.
- Generous vacation policy along with your birthday off!
- Three annual Jane-cation days: additional days off.
At Jane, we’re committed to fostering an environment that allows you to come to work as your truest self. We believe it’s important to actively recognize, embrace, and celebrate our differences in order to make Jane an inclusive, equitable, and diverse workplace.
We want to build a team of people who make conversations rich with perspective and experience. We are committed to listening to every voice in order to learn and grow because doing this will allow us to meet the needs of the diverse community of helpers that Jane serves.
We do not tolerate discrimination, prejudice, or oppressive isms of any kind. Employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, experience, and the needs of the Jane community. We encourage anyone who requires accommodation or adjustments throughout the interview process to let us know, and we will do our best to support you.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.