Itron DEM (Distributed Energy Management) is the industry’s leading provider of integrated cloud-based demand response, energy efficiency and customer engagement solutions that enable electric utilities to ensure grid reliability, lower energy costs, meet regulatory demands and enhance the customer experience. Through its combination of software, hardware and services, Itron DEM helps utilities optimize every aspect of a demand management program, from participant recruitment and device installation to call center support, control events and measurement and verification.
Itron is seeking an innovative Senior Principal Software Engineer with solid "back end" software architecture and development experience. This position is for technical leaders and technically strong coders who can analyze, design, program, debug, and modify software used in local, networked, or Internet-related computer programs. Code will be used in enterprise class solutions. Using open-source programming languages and technologies including Ruby on Rails, Elixir, and containerization, writes code, completes programming, and performs testing and debugging of applications. Experience with Scaled Agile methods is preferred.
The ideal candidate will have experience creating distributed applications that are able to operate in multi-threaded environments. Additionally, the ability to create unit tests around the application using a "test first" methodology is highly preferred. In addition, the candidate has experience being a technical team leader/scrum master. Finally, the ability to effectively communicate with product management to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications is essential.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Identify and schedule internal technical tasks and deliverables for self and team
- Create applications that operate in a multi-threaded environment
- Design architecture capable of running in a distributed application environment
- Develop test driven/test first unit tests
- Coordinate analysis, design, implementation and test of a large software system
- Determine scope of effort of large projects
- Identify risks and implement viable courses of action.
- Perform justification (cost-benefit analysis)
- Participate in technical due diligence on potential partners, suppliers and acquisitions, and document their strategic relevance
- Ensure that projects are planned and executed in a timely and efficient manner
- Understand business objectives linked to the development and application of technology
- Requires a minimum of 8 years of related experience Ruby on Rails, Elixir, relational databases to design SQL Server back end applications is highly preferred
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field or equivalent experience
Travel Requirements: 0 - 10%
Physical Demands: This is a typical office job, with no special physical requirements or unusual work environment.
Itron is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer. Qualified applicants are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition, veteran status, disability, genetic information, gender identity or other characteristics protected by law. If you require an accommodation in order to apply to this position, please contact your local recruiting representative at 1-800-635-5461 or email Accessibility@itron.com.