Staff Backend EngineerAt Inspectify
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on June 19th
At Inspectify, we are the world’s only vertically integrated property inspection platform. We are backed by some of the most prominent venture firms including Nine Four VC, Foundation VC and YCombinator (S20). Our platform streamlines inspections through our network of over 2,000 inspector partners in the US and Canada and proprietary inspection software that generates the “API of the Home”.
We are looking to expand our engineering team based in Montreal, that works in tandem with the rest of the product, engineering and data teams in Seattle and around the USA. You will report directly to the VP of engineering, based in Montreal. Our company CTO is also originally from Québec.
We are looking for a Staff Backend engineer that will bring years of experience and knowledge to help us design and build new products, as long as working on our existing platform and tools.
You will take full responsibility over backend infrastructure for both our client facing technology and back office tools that simplify and streamline the work for our inspectors and internal teams. This includes building the marketplace used by Home buyers to find Home inspectors; build the system to help the Home inspectors complete the inspections efficiently and with high quality; build the system that allows homeowners to plan for and execute on their home rehab projects, integrate with our partners and third-party systems to enhance the product offerings to our customers and finally, build the tools to allow homeowners to manage and keep their house in perfect condition.
- Lead projects on the technical front and mentor more junior developers
- Work in Ruby on Rails to build API, background jobs, email and text messages systems.
- Own all parts of the development process, including design, development, testing, code review and ensuring proper release and delivery.
- Identifies technical opportunities and propose ways to improve on them
- Help us refine our engineering culture and best practices
- Work with technical leaders to elevate our engineering standards
- Maintain current technical knowledge to support rapidly changing technology, always on a look out for new technologies that would help Inspectify be more successful.
- Work closely with members of the Product, Operations, Sales and Customer Success team to find answers and solutions for our users and to make our team more efficient.
- 7+ years of professional experience in software development
- You are currently living in the province of Québec
- Great interpersonal communication skills and emotional intelligenceStrong knowledge of CI/CD pipelines, branching strategies and modern application development
- A desire to elevate the product, technology and your colleagues to the next level
- Strong experience with backend technologies, particularly Ruby on Rails or other similar backend technologies.
- Deep understanding of web technology stacks, including browser caching, cookies, http request, security, and response mechanism, etc.
- Strong experience designing, building and optimizing API
- Strong experience designing relational database schemas
- Comfortable with ambiguity and ability to adjust quickly in a dynamic environment.
- You have worked in fast growing startups before
- Have experience with RabbitMQ or similar AMQP based implementations, ProtoBuf, Redis
- Have experience in the real estate industry or PropTech
- You are able to travel to Seattle a few times a year for our company-wide offsites
Current benefits - With more to come!:
Salary brackets for the current role: 140- 160K CAD
Unlimited/flexible vacation policy
Complete and generous health insurance (medical, dental, vision, etc), paid for 100%
Long term & short term disability
A very generous maternity/paternity time off policy, complimentary to QPIP
Annual professional development stipend Team volunteer opportunities
Travel to Seattle several times a year for our corporate offsites
This position is for our Montreal office. We’re remote first: you can work fully from the comfort of your home, as long as you are residing within the province of Québec. Unfortunately not hiring if you’re not residing in Québec at the moment.
Professional. Knowledgeable. Empowering. Efficient. Innovative. Understanding.
We care about people
We work with different types of people everyday and we need to pay attention to them. Starting with the people, internally and externally, will help us gain and keep their trust as we build out our offerings.
Understand and connect the system
We understand that we’re placing ourselves as a third-party in an already complicated dynamic in real estate. Our current work and future vision will continuously affect the different elements in the transaction space. From all areas, know how one action or change can affect the ecosystem.
Empower to Own
We strive to set an environment where people can be leaders which means being able to own. Opening up opportunities for trials, experiments, and thought-provoking conversations will bring a sense of impact and value to each and every one of us.
Be consistent with a purpose
We need to have established opinions on different matters. These perspectives that we carry on shows that we should be consistent in our messaging, interaction, and relationship. But, always remember to be intentional and know why we hold onto these thoughts.
Expand your potential
We want to be in a culture that cultivates growth in our employees. Leaders not only lead but also think bigger organizationally. By crafting this type of atmosphere, we want to make sure our customers and partners are getting the best experience.
Be conscious by giving backWe adopt a mentality of creating a cycle of giving back to the community and/or society. The space we’re in is very tight-knit and Inspectify needs to be at the forefront of being an example in the industry. Being thoughtful of our community reflects that we are conscious of our position in the business.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.