Senior Software Engineer - Backend/DevOpsAt Fond
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on June 22nd
Fond is a SaaS platform that seamlessly consolidates employee rewards and recognition processes into one easy-to-use solution. With Fond, employees and managers can recognize each other, redeem rewards, access exclusive corporate discounts, and measure success so HR departments spend less time managing programs and more time driving results. Some of our current customers include Salesforce, Weight Watchers, Instacart, plus hundreds of others. Fond is a Y Combinator company funded by investors including DCM, Andreessen Horowitz and SV Angel. If you want to be part of the team that delivers industry-leading engagement and recognition capabilities for top companies, Fond is for you!
We’re looking for an experienced, product-minded Principal Software Engineer to expand our Fond team. We work smart, fast, and cohesively as a team, both within engineering and across the rest of the company.
Fond’s engineering team aspires to deliver industry-leading elegant, innovative solutions and to help formulate processes that work for us. We utilize microservices that are primarily in Ruby on Rails with a React frontend. We also build native iOS and Android apps.
Fond is headquartered in Portland, but we are currently operating as a fully remote team due to Covid. Our ideal candidate will be in the Pacific or Mountain time zone.
- Work as part of a collaborative, Agile team utilizing Scrum
- Responsibilities include enhancements, additions, and fixes to our core application stack built on Ruby on Rails with a MySQL database
- Assist in the maintenance, updates, and improvements, to our existing AWS infrastructure from planning to implementation
- Collaborate with Frontend, Mobile, and QA teams
- Promote skills transfer and proactively mentor and guide other engineers in enterprise-class architecture, design and implementation
- Integrate with other services to help Fond seamlessly provide value across all aspects of the employee experience
- Troubleshoot and resolve emergency infrastructure and/or code issues at any stack level
- Support and contribute to continuous process improvements and best practices (including coding, security, compliance, etc.)
- Experience building, deploying and maintaining scalable, cost effective and performant commercial enterprise/SaaS software products
- 4+ years of building and delivering production-quality web application development
- Senior level experience working with Ruby on Rails or an equivalent web framework and language
- 1+ years of experience with Chef / Ansible and Terraform
- AWS DevOps experience with EC2, ECS, RDS, S3 and other AWS services
- RDBMS usage (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Unit and automated testing experience (e.g. RSpec, Cypress, CircleCI)
- API design and development, including 3rd party, with consideration for security, performance, availability, etc.
- Strong software design pattern skills for producing modular, yet performant code
- Ability to empathize with end-users; build with scale and ease of adoption in mind
- Experience building in an agile setting with code reviews and quality as a priority
- A bachelor's degree in Computer Science, related technical field, or commensurate experience
- Database Design
- Mobile app development experience; native iOS or Android or React Native
- Competitive salary and equity package
- 100% employee + 60% dependent/spouse premium coverage on Health, Dental, and Vision insurance
- 401k benefits
- Flexible vacation and sick policy
- Great culture and team camaraderie
- Macbook Pro or similar Linux laptop
Note that you do not need to possess 100% of the qualifications to be considered.
The Hiring Process - An overview of what to expect:
Step 1: Phone Interview — After you submit your initial application, we’ll review it and reach out to candidates who seem like a good fit to schedule a 45-minute initial phone interview. On this call, we’ll discuss your past experience and learn more about your professional goals.
Step 2: Video Interviews and Code Challenge — We’ll send you a code challenge to review and get a head start on ahead of the interview. The first video interview will be with two members of our engineering team during which you’ll work on and review the challenge together. Following that, you’ll have another video interview with two more engineers from different parts of the team.
Step 3: Meet Fond’s CEO and Product Team — Your last round of interviews will include a video interview with Fond’s Product / Design team, as well as a final video interview with our CEO. You will have the chance to gain a deeper understanding of Fond’s product, core values, and company roadmap.
Step 4: Offer — If we believe you’d be a good fit at Fond, we will make you an offer we hope you’ll accept!
At Fond, we celebrate uniqueness. We don’t discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Women, BIPOC, LGBTQ, and other under-represented groups are highly encouraged to apply.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.