Staff EngineerAt Flatiron School
- Full Time
- Full Remote
Posted on June 23rd
Flatiron School is looking for a Staff Engineer to help scale our technology to support our growing population of students aspiring to break out into their own careers in technology. This role gives you the chance to create an incredible academic experience for aspiring technology professionals like yourself!
The Staff Engineer will guide, mentor, design, and deliver high-quality software and help drive decision-making for the technical architecture of our systems. This role will serve as a senior member of the Engineering team and will have the chance to provide valuable input on the direction of building out our service-based architecture to meet our growing student body.
Our systems feature a mix of services in Ruby/Rails, Elixir/Phoenix, orchestrated through a mix of messaging and graphQL, and deployed on AWS. Our frontend stack is composed of Next.js, Typescript, React on a nx/monorepo architecture. We are looking for generalists who enjoy working across the software stack and have an advanced understanding of programming and service-based architecture.
- Understand our goals and OKRs and drive technical solutions to achieve them.
- Help steer technical decisions about infrastructure and architecture.
- Design stable and performant products, systems, and APIs.
- Identify, propose, and drive initiatives to improve our code quality and engineering processes.
- Be a role model for other engineers, championing best practices and collaboration.
- Provide mentorship to junior team members through pair programming, code reviews, and one-on-one coaching.
- Actively share knowledge and experience with the rest of the team.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- You have 6+ years of proven software architecture experience.
- You have extensive experience writing scalable, high-performant, maintainable, and clean code.
- You have a deep understanding of systems design.
- You have considerable programming experience with modern languages and frameworks (though we primarily use React/Ruby/Rails/Elixir/Phoenix).
- You have experience with Git-based team workflow and modern CI/CD deployment flows.
- You are comfortable with AWS.
- You possess a working knowledge of relational databases, such as PostgreSQL.
- You enjoy working collaboratively across teams and functions such as product and design.
- You have an affinity for knowledge sharing and mentorship.
Expected Compensation Band:
- $180K - $210K annually
For benefits information, visit https://flatironschool.com/careers/.
Important note: For the health and safety of the Flatiron School community, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for entrance to any of our Flatiron School locations — including campuses and offices. In addition, masks will be required onsite at all times at campuses located in cities where transmission is designated as substantial or high, only removing to eat or drink at a designated distanced desk. You can read our more information about our Covid-19 policy and precautions here.
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School teaches passionate, creative people how to launch careers in tech. We’ve been teaching since 2012, and now offer programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity to bring our successful curriculum to more students. We are more than just a school — we are a team of mission-driven individuals trying to align education with reality. Since our inception in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of students with skills, community, and an immersive outcomes-driven program. To achieve these outcomes, we’ve never let ourselves stop growing – we’ve constantly iterated on our curriculum, evolved our teaching techniques, and created technology to improve our students’ learning experience.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.