Software Engineer, Mid-LevelAt Flatiron School
- Full Time
- Full Remote
Posted on June 22nd
Technology is reshaping the way we learn, study, and work, and Flatiron School is proud to be at the forefront of this change. Flatiron School empowers students from all walks of life to start new careers in coding, data science, cyber-security. We’re looking to expand our engineering team to continue supporting our unique academic experience. It’s an exciting time to be a part of Flatiron School.
As Flatiron School grows we are faced with the challenge of scaling our service-based architecture to meet our growing student body. Our systems feature a mix of services in Ruby/Rails, Elixir/Phoenix and Nodejs applications, orchestrated through CloudAMQP and GraphQL, all containerized and deployed on AWS. Our frontend stack also features React/NextJS. We are looking for generalists who enjoy working across the software stack, have an advanced understanding of programming and service-based architecture, and love to work in a mission driven company.
The Flatiron School is seeking a mid-level Software Engineer to design and deliver high quality software and help drive decision making for the technical architecture of our systems.
- Help steer technical decisions about infrastructure and architecture, to support our growing student body and ever expanding administrators and instructors.
- Design stable and performant products, systems, and APIs, to ensure that our students get a “first-in-class” education.
- Identify, propose, and drive initiatives to improve our code quality and engineering processes.
- Be a role model for other engineers, championing best practices and collaboration.
- Provide mentorship to junior team members through pair programming, code reviews, and one-on-one coaching.
- Actively share, and document, knowledge and experience with the rest of the team.
- A passionate and compassionate programmer who enjoys solving puzzles, and working with others.
- You have extensive experience writing scalable, high-performant, maintainable, and clean code.
- You have a deep understanding of systems design.
- You have considerable programming experience with modern languages and frameworks (though we primarily use React/Ruby/Rails/Elixir/Phoenix).
- You have experience with Git-based team workflow and modern CI/CD deployment flows.
- You are comfortable with AWS, and using Terraform to build/maintain infrastructure as code.
- You possess a working knowledge of relational databases, such as PostgreSQL.
- You enjoy working collaboratively across teams and functions such as product and design.
- You have an affinity for knowledge sharing and mentorship.
- You are a dynamic thinker, have an entrepreneurial spirit and a business sense to identify opportunity
- You thrive having the autonomy to devise solutions and collaborate with others
- You work best in teams of high-performers focused on a common goal
Who you’ll be working with:
- Passionate engineers, some who have either gone through or taught at The Flatiron School
- Seasoned Product Managers who strive to create an amazing product, as well as a collaborative and inclusive working environment
- Designers who focus on providing an engaging interface and comfortable and
- Managers who care and work on growing you, not only as an engineer, but a leader in your field
- $140K - $165K Annually
For benefits information, visit https://flatironschool.com/careers/.
Important note: For the health and safety of the Flatiron School community, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for entrance to any of our Flatiron School locations — including campuses and offices. In addition, masks will be required onsite at all times at campuses located in cities where transmission is designated as substantial or high, only removing to eat or drink at a designated distanced desk. You can read our more information about our Covid-19 policy and precautions here.
About Flatiron School
Flatiron School teaches passionate, creative people how to launch careers in tech. We’ve been teaching since 2012, and now offer programs in software engineering, data science, and cybersecurity to bring our successful curriculum to more students. We are more than just a school — we are a team of mission-driven individuals trying to align education with reality. Since our inception in 2012, we’ve provided thousands of students with skills, community, and an immersive outcomes-driven program. To achieve these outcomes, we’ve never let ourselves stop growing – we’ve constantly iterated on our curriculum, evolved our teaching techniques, and created technology to improve our students’ learning experience.
Equal Employment Opportunity Commitment
Flatiron School provides equal employment opportunity (“EEO”) to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, age, gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, national origin, disability, marital status, citizenship status, veteran status, relationship or association with a protected veteran, military status or any other legally protected characteristic. This includes recruiting, hiring, working conditions, benefits, and other employment matters such as pay, promotion, demotion, transfer, termination, and reduction in force. It is the policy of Flatiron School to comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment and to ensure equal opportunity in all terms and conditions of employment or potential employment. All employment decisions shall be consistent with the principle of equal employment opportunity.
Flatiron School values and encourages diversity and solicits applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, military and veteran status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, change of sex or transgender status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local law. Flatiron School is committed to working with people from all walks of life. If you require a reasonable accommodation in any part of the employment process, please contact email@example.com
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.