Exygy is a digital innovation studio on a mission to build resilient and healthy communities. We enable impact-focused organizations to rethink experiences and create digital products that solve their problems and delight users. Our diverse team brings a breadth of technical expertise, user-centric perspectives, and product strategy to every engagement. As a certified B-Corporation, we are driven by our fierce commitment to the betterment of humanity. Our clients include CARE International, QURE Healthcare, San Francisco Mayor's Office of Housing, and Hopelab.
Exygy has embraced a work from home philosophy and we are now a remote-first company. This role can be located anywhere in the U.S and may occasionally require traveling to the San Francisco Bay Area for meetings or team building events. Exygy remains connected and engaged with virtual team events, weekly all hands meetings and regular zoom workshops and trainings.
Our systems for accessing government services in the U.S. are incredibly complex. Each year, people spend over 10 billion hours completing government forms, and families looking to apply for public benefits encounter one barrier after another. It can be difficult to know what programs even exist, let alone where to go to apply for them. And once there, the application process is often incredibly cumbersome, opaque, and inconsistent. Research shows that the need to repeatedly navigate complex requirements and re-enter sensitive personal information can feel dehumanizing.
At Exygy, we believe that technology has a crucial role to play in unlocking access to essential services and building more equitable systems. We’re looking for a Principal Engineer who can serve as a technical leader on an open-source, civic tech product that has been doing just that. The platform was originally built by a prominent, mission-aligned technology partner and is now entering its second phase of development and implementation. As Exygy moves into the role of product steward, this is a truly exciting opportunity to not only collaborate with that partner on a tool that has a tangible impact on families, but also help build a team and set a vision for scale and governance.
As an engineering leader, you understand the value of software patterns, software modeling, automated tests and continuous integration, code style and quality, and pair programming in the pursuit of building high-quality software. You value teaching and mentoring developers and have experience building high performing engineering teams. This position requires a candidate who can analyze business requirements, estimate engineering work, construct, test, and implement solutions with an agile team. While the ideal candidate has experience with Java, we are prioritizing strategic technical ownership and, therefore, open to applicants whose track records and leadership skills prove their ability to spin up quickly on new technologies.
We’re seeking an enthusiastic and creative Principal Engineer who is passionate about using technology to build healthy and resilient communities. We’re a small, growing team and believe that team members from a diverse set of backgrounds is a key to our strength. We value collaborators over cowboys, diversity and inclusivity, creativity over closed-mindedness, and sustainable pace over fire-fighting.
- Architect and establish software development roadmap
- Serve as a technical leader to other engineers in Scrum team setting.
- Lead standardization of engineering practices across Exygy
- Support individual engineers with troubleshooting difficult technical problems
- Contribute to the engineering recruiting and hiring process, ensuring we’re hiring for the right skills based on upcoming project needs. Vetting new team members and conducting skills reviews.
- Pair with other engineers and rotate to best serve team needs.
- Organize and facilitate daily stand-up meetings, reviews, retrospectives, sprint and release planning, demos, and other Scrum-related practices and ceremonies
- Track and communicate team velocity and sprint/release progress. Ensure all code is tested and meets team code quality standards
- Manage Exygy’s network of remote engineering contractors and making sure contractors are supported when executing on projects.
- Scope and estimate projects, and contribute to high-level planning of project structure and timeline.
- Support Exygy leadership in the business development process, specifically fleshing out technical and estimations portions of proposals to potential clients.
Key Desired Experience
- 4+ years experience on teams on large software projects, including full-stack development with one or more web application frameworks, such as Ruby on Rails, Java, C#, Django, ExpressJS, Spring, ASP.NET etc.
- Experience building web applications with a major open source platform, such as Node.js, Rails or Java.
- Experience working with relational databases like PostgreSQL or MSSQL
- Experience with deployment of web applications on AWS, GCP and other platforms.
- Strong experience with and enjoyment of developing software on agile/Scrum teams. Familiar with continuous integration, test driven development, automated testing, pair programming, code review, git flow, and rapid prototyping.
- Proven ability to effectively collaborate with design and product teams
- Familiar with software scalability, refactoring, peer review and mentorship
- Strong leadership and technical management experience.
- Experience building and growing a high performing engineering team. Can identify and remove impediments that interfere with the ability of the engineering team members.
- Ability to keep ahead of technical trends, and contributes to the technical direction of the engineering team and company overall.
Compensation & Benefits
The annual salary range for this full-time position is $125,000 - $140,000. Exygy offers excellent benefits, including health, dental, vision, and life insurance; 401(k) with employer match; professional development budget; home office budget and wifi credit; monthly wellness stipend; unlimited paid time off; profit sharing bonuses and paid volunteer time.
EEO & Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We are actively seeking to create a diverse and equitable work environment because we believe that creates a stronger team.
Exygy values a diverse workplace and strongly encourages women, people of color, LGBTQIA individuals, people with disabilities, members of ethnic minorities, foreign-born residents, older members of society, and others from minority groups and diverse backgrounds to apply. Exygy is an equal opportunity employer. We will not discriminate against applicants because of race, color, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition, or any protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws. All employees and contractors of Exygy are responsible for maintaining a work atmosphere free from discrimination and harassment by treating others with dignity and respect.