Lead Software Engineer, BackendAt Cisco Meraki
- Full Time
Posted on January 23rd
- Play a key role in building the Config Team, encourage best practices, code quality metrics, and standards as well as define SLAs/SLOs for the services you own.
- Architect, develop, scale, and maintain the backend services and infrastructure that power config generation and distribution. We believe in ownership over the entire software engineering cycle.
- Refactor monoliths into microservices, extract APIs and re-usable components, and help us move towards containerization.
- Optimize and tune performance of the config rendering systems.
- Collaborate with the neighboring Cloud Services team as well as with other globally-distributed teams including UX specialists, firmware engineers, network support engineers, SREs, engineering managers, and product managers.
- You will have the opportunity to work on projects that span numerous domains — networking, databases, web app development, systems, and graph algorithms — to help our backend services scale to handle enormous amounts of requests.
- You will make an immediate and significant difference to the hundreds of millions of users that rely on our access points, switches, security appliances, cameras, and IoT sensors every single day!
- Contribute to our continual learning process. We rely on blameless post-mortems to learn from incidents in production to make our systems more robust.
- You care deeply about creating a fun and supportive team culture, where everyone is encouraged to grow and learn from a group with a diverse set of backgrounds.
- You like thinking about systems and architectures — their edge cases, failure scenarios, and lifecycles. You’re interested and experienced in making systems more resilient and fault tolerant.
- Experienced with Ruby on Rails. You’ll be making a lot of architectural and design choices specific to Rails . You’re pragmatic when it comes to languages and technical decisions and embrace the idea of being language-agnostic.
- You’d like to see the true full stack nature of our networking products (from hardware to firmware to backend to Web UI). You think about customer experience and can promote objectives that will significantly improve it.
- Experienced with caching: how to design and structure multi-layer caches.
- Data driven. Observability isn’t just a buzzword for you. Not only do you turn to metrics to triage issues, but also you create new dashboards/introspection tools to help other people answer questions.
- Experience with improving complex systems, thoughtful about the urge to rewrite everything from scratch. You consider the tradeoffs between upgrading, incremental refactors, and larger scale architectural changes.
- Experienced with troubleshooting and debugging distributed systems. Triaging large lists of problems to concrete projects.
- Excellent communicator. You’ll be collaborating with teams distributed across several time zones. You use design documents and visualizations/data to prove your points and can get buy-in.
- Experienced with migrations and software upgrades. You know how to roll things out safely.
BONUS POINTS FOR:
- Deep Postgres or other RDBMS experience.
- Experience with containerization, such as Kubernetes and Docker
- Ruby (Rails, EventMachine, Unicorn), Scala (Jetty, Akka, Netty), Go
- Git, Gerrit, GitLab, Jenkins, TeamCity, Ansible
- Postgres, LittleTable (our custom time-series database that stores 100 of TB’s of data and is written to millions of times a second), ElasticSearch, Redis
- Debian, Ubuntu, OpenStack, AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform
- gRPC, Protocol Buffers
- ELK, Graphite, Grafana, Prometheus
- Maven, sbt, Artifactory, NGINX
LIFE AT CISCO MERAKI
- A supportive and fun environment and management that values your contributions and helps you grow; regular career conversations.
- A lot of opportunities for professional and personal growth via employee-led groups and mentorship programs. Check out one of our groups — Women of Meraki on Twitter and Instagram.
- Candid feedback on a regular basis following Radical Candor.
- Paid time off to volunteer (5 days a year), and much more.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.