Senior Ruby on Rails DeveloperAt Blindside Networks
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on June 12th
Blindside Networks has been developing BigBlueButton, a virtual classroom system that originated from Carleton University, to provide remote students a high-quality online learning experience anywhere in the world (https://bigbluebutton.org). We are looking to accelerate development of Ruby on Rails-based components of BigBlueButton in 2022.
BigBlueButton itself is open source with over 7.4k GitHub stars:
We also create two supporting applications for BigBlueButton using Ruby on Rails, one for front-end and the other for creating scalable deployments:
Internally, much of our hosting and infrastructure applications are written in Ruby on Rails. We use rails a lot!
Blindside Networks is looking to hire an experienced Senior Ruby on Rails Developer to join our growing Ottawa based team on a full-time basis. Reporting to the Director of Products and Services, you will be responsible for developing internal operations tools and external customer-facing applications for our hosting business.
This position is fully remote.
- Bachelor degree in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
- 5-10 years experience in creating web-based applications using Ruby on Rails
- Experience doing full-stack development (front-end and back-end development)
- Highly proficient at the Linux command line (bash) and using git for source code management
- Experience creating headless RoRs applications that are API driven
- Strong database skills, especially Postgres/MySQL
- Ability to design, develop, test, and deliver a full-stack application based on requirements
- Full-stack (front-end and back-end) development of new web applications (both internal and external).
- Enhance and support both Greenlight and Scalelite for our customers and open source community (your peers will see your work)
- Work with front-end UI designers to design, prototype, and implement customer facing interfaces (prior UI design skills a bonus)
- Work with third-party penetration testing companies to harden our applications
- Review internal specifications for new web-based applications, create development plans for building the application, and work with other developers to implement and deploy into a scalable devops framework.
- Code review and mentoring of junior developers
- Experience writing or maintaining Ruby on Rails applications with a React Frontend
- Experience in doing code reviews, software testing
- Experience using automated testing frameworks (rspec, minitest, or selinium/webdriver)
- Experience integration OAuth 2.0 into an application
- Experience working with Docker and setting up development environments with Docker Compose.
- Experience working and building with CI/CD pipelines.
- Experience working with Kubernetes (or equivalent orchestration framework)
- Experience working with authentication with SAML
- Prior experience working in on SaaS infrastructure stack on AWS or GCE
- A GitHub account demonstrating that you have be practicing your skills as a Ruby on Rails developer
What sets you apart?
All the job posts you’ve read so far probably talk about the need for good communication skills, team player, internally motivated, reliability, and so on. Any software company would expect these skills from its developers.
We’ve found what sets exceptional developers apart are the dept of problem solving skills. In other words, when the answer is not on Stack Overflow, how deep is your toolbox for solving problems?
If you have strong Ruby on Rails development experience with exceptionally strong problem solving skills and you want to work with other developers of a similar ilk, let us know. We’re interested to talk with you.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.