Lead Full Stack Rails DeveloperAt Bellawatt
- Full Time
- Full Remote
Posted on June 1st
Bellawatt builds nimble and user-friendly software products for some of the leading energy companies including PG&E, Sunrun, and the DOE. The energy industry is undergoing massive changes and our clients are increasingly using modern software to help solve their biggest challenges and unlock new opportunities.
We typically build web-based applications, but on occasion take on other types of energy software projects we find interesting or challenging such as building IOT backend infrastructure for EV microgrids.
We believe in creating impact quickly: we call this making nimble software. We have been a remote company from day one. We are averse to meetings, prefer written communication, and we don’t expect immediate responses on our messaging apps. This is because we believe that high quality software requires time for deep work. We do not leave people on islands either. We like to collaborate, and we often work together on tricky problems by remote pair programming. You can read more about our philosophies at https://www.bellawatt.com/work/.
We choose tools that empower even single developers to make a big impact. We prefer to participate in vibrant ecosystems that will be around for many years, such as Ruby on Rails and React (our default stack). At the same time, we occasionally leverage Python and have also dabbled in Node.js and TypeScript. We encourage playing around with just about anything that you find interesting, though we are cautious about what we use in production.
Why you might want to work with us:
- Call us bias, but our team is very high quality. We hire slowly - even to the detriment of our bottom line - and skew senior/experienced.
- We're in a crucial space - we literally help keep the lights on (and make them cheaper/greener). Most of our work is at the forefront of the clean energy transition.
- Your voice will be heard. For this position, we're looking for someone to help set the direction of the engineering team.
- You'll actually get to code, as you won’t be directly managing anyone and you won’t be in meetings all day.
- Work in a team that cares about giving back via open source software. We recognize how much we've benefitted from OSS ecosystems and have a number of packages and libraries we've published and use ourselves.
- We've been remote since our founding 5+ years ago, and are careful about protecting your personal time. One recent example is we now force staff to take a day off soon after any big launch. The rest of our benefits are standard - health, flexible PTO, equipment as necessary, and a 401k program.
Bellawatt’s engineering team is growing. We have a great team that is forming internal preferences and best practices. We’d like to add another senior team member who can be a pillar within the organization. Specifically, we're looking for:
- Demonstrated expertise in Ruby on Rails. Specifically, multiple years of experience in a senior role leading development on production apps.
- Experience leading internal initiatives to make an engineering team better. This could mean mentoring engineers, coding out dev tooling, creating libraries for shared functionality, defining and implementing best practices in code, or any other experience which has created leverage for an engineering team.
- You might not want to apply if you like the structure of daily standups and/or a SCRUM process. We plan in “sprint like” increments, but our project management processes are lightweight by design. This is why we hire team members that are capable of managing their own time effectively
- Bonus: Production experience with at least one other backend language. Our clients sometimes have their own technical constraints which we must fit into.
- Bonus: A bias towards execution, closeout and/or ongoing operations.
We are excited to have a new team member, not a new employee. We won’t waste your time - our interview process is straightforward:
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill out the form below, and please include your resume and/or link to your LinkedIn profile.
- Informal Interview (30 min) where we get to know each other and discuss expectations. If there's mutual interest, we’ll ask you for a recent writing sample (something you've written previously about a complicated technical topic, a sample PR, or a short Q&A we'll share with you).
- A Technical Interview (90 min) where we code together in VSCode's LiveShare. The structure is designed to be collaborative, and we will look at problems similar to things we actually work on – no bubble sorts or leetcode style trick questions!
- A Case Study (90 min) that [imperfectly] seeks to simulate what it would be like for us to actually work together on a project, including having a Product team member in the conversation.
- We’ll send you an offer within a week.
That's it! We don't like drawn-out interview processes any more than you do. Looking forward to connecting!
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.