Staff Software EngineerAt Arcadia
- Full Time
- Full Remote (with restrictions)
Posted on June 15th
Arcadia is a climate crisis-fighting technology company founded in 2014 and born out of a simple idea—everyone deserves access to clean energy. Arcadia breaks the fossil fuel monopoly by creating unprecedented access to energy data and renewable energy sources through its technology platform and its community solar program. Our platform fuels the Internet-of-Energy revolution by accessing data from hundreds of utilities nationwide, covering more than 70% of US electric utility accounts. Arcadia manages over five Terawatt-hours of residential and commercial energy demand and is the largest manager of community solar assets in the country.
What we’re looking for:
We are seeking a Staff Engineer to join the Billing team to advance our billing platform. We're looking for an experienced engineer who can adapt in the face of a rapidly changing regulatory landscape while supporting a critical payments infrastructure. The Billing platform is at the heart of the company and is responsible for the technology that manages all cash flow. The ideal candidate is low-ego and collaborative, who can take a lot of pressure out of high-stakes applications and is excited to expand renewable energy access to millions of households across the country.
We are prioritizing hiring for our D.C. and NYC offices, but we are open to fully remote candidates residing in one of Arcadia’s registered states. Please see our careers page for the updated list. This position is for someone who is eager to engage with modern payments infrastructure on a high-morale, tightly knit team. Our engineering values are deeply ingrained in our culture-- you can read more about them here.
What you'll do:
- Serve on the implementation team responsible for revenue critical workflows related to statement generation, payments processing, and utility and solar project developer remittances.
- Partner with Analytics, Finance, Product, and other Engineering teams to shape product design and specifications in both our direct-to-consumer and enterprise payments offerings.
- Architect solutions around developing, optimizing, and scaling Rails applications deployed via Kubernetes on AWS.
- Build and maintain REST/GraphQL APIs that effectively serve payments and remittance data to a variety of different clients and stakeholders.
- Frequently deploy new functionality to production with a streamlined CI/CD pipeline
- Collaborate frequently with other engineers, give thoughtful code review, and mentor less experienced engineers.
- Identify and advocate for opportunities and improvements within the billing domain and the Engineering team at-large.
What will help you succeed:
- 5+ years of experience in a senior software engineering role, supporting high-availability, large-scale web applications
- Strong communication skills and the ability to translate complex technical concepts into clear, actionable information for product managers, designers, data analysts, and other engineers
- Experience mentoring and coaching engineers across experience levels with a demonstrated ability to provide constructive, empathetic feedback in code and design reviews
- Ability to architect, scope, prioritize, estimate, and deliver on projects while managing the balance between shipping code quickly and shipping high quality code
- Experience with payment security principles, PCI compliance, payment clearing networks, etc.
- Experience with the following technologies:
- Ruby & Ruby on Rails.
- GraphQL (Apollo)
- PostgreSQL (or similar relational database)
- Docker & kubernetes
- AWS (Lambda, SQS, S3, Cloudformation, etc.)
- Market-based compensation (salary + equity)
- Healthcare, dental, vision, 401(k) and commuter benefits
- Paid Time Off (holidays, vacation, professional development, volunteer, parental leave)
- A supportive engineering culture that values diversity, empathy, teamwork, trust, and efficiency
- Professional development opportunities
- All-company lunches
- Free clean energy
- A chance to decarbonize and disrupt the energy sector
Eliminating carbon footprints, eliminating carbon copies.
Here at Arcadia, we cultivate diversity, celebrate individuality, and believe unique perspectives are key to our collective success in creating a clean energy future. Arcadia is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any status protected by applicable federal, state, or local law. While we are currently unable to consider candidates who will require visa sponsorship, we welcome applications from all qualified candidates eligible to work in the United States.
Get the latest sent to your inbox once a week!
Receive a weekly update of technical tips, Rails job market analysis, Rails job listings and more!
We'll never share your email address. See our Privacy & Data Policies for more details.